Sunday, September 24, 2017

The Shadow Unmasks!

From the very first Shadow story published in April of 1931, the real identity of The Shadow was unknown.  He appeared in many disguises and assumed many names and identities, but his true identity was a shadowy mystery!  But in the pages of The Shadow #131 (published on August 1, 1937) the real Shadow steps out of the shadows and reveals his true identity in the story, "The Shadow Unmasks."
Original cover of The Shadow #131

"For the first time in his long career as crime-fighter extraordinary, The Shadow thrusts aside his veil of mystery!  Not under one of his many aliases, but in his true identity, The Shadow reveals himself!  Here, in his latest battle against the underworld, is exposed the unfathomable past of that being known to all the world as The Shadow!"  These are the words that introduced the story that lead to The Shadow revealing his true identity to us.

But before I write about The Shadow's true identity, it's important to know what precipitated this grand revelation.  For many years The Shadow would operate under the guise of millionaire Lamont Cranston.  As a matter of fact, Lamont Cranston himself knew of this and gave his approval (see The Shadow Laughs).  The Shadow is using his disguise as Lamont Cranston when the real Lamont Cranston is injured in Europe and newspapers carry the story!  This creates some difficult situations for The Shadow so as to not reveal his use of the Cranston disguise!  This is the situation that leads to The Shadow's revelation of his true identity.

So now - who is The Shadow?  The Shadow is really Kent Allard!  He reveals this truth to a friend named Slade Farrow.  

Here are the words of The Shadow himself as he talked to Slade Farrow.  "I was actually a war (WWI) ace. Winning air battles seemed to come to me naturally; and I gained a preference for night flights. The enemy called me The Dark Eagle. They were glad when they shot down my plane.  But I was not shot down. I landed by design; and drilled the gas tank of my own ship. Wearing a black garb, I traveled by night, on foot, within the enemy's lines. I entered prison camps, yes; but never as a prisoner. I visited them only to release men who were held there, to guide them in their escape.  By day, I adopted disguises, and working entirely on my own, I contacted our secret agents. That was when I learned my faculty for penetrating the deepest schemes.

I became a roving secret agent, and finally located a secret air base maintained by the enemy. It seemed suicidal to visit the place and map it. They actually trapped me after I had finished. But my experience as an aviator served me. I escaped from the base itself, in one of the enemy's own planes.

The war ended. I found that aviation offered part of the life I needed; but it provided neither the action of battle, nor the keen work of the secret agent. I rejected the idea of becoming a soldier of fortune. I considered warfare an uncivilized institution except when absolute necessity required it.  I saw such necessity in the field that others had neglected. Crime was becoming rampant in America and elsewhere. Underworlds were organized, with their own hidden battle lines. Only a lone foe could pierce that cordon; once inside, he would have to move by stealth, and strike with power and suddenness. I chose that mission.  I resolved to bury my identity. I flew south and landed in Guatemala. I spent a few months among the Xincas and gained their friendship. I came home, disguised so no one could recognize me. I became The Shadow."

There we have it!  The Shadow is really WWI flying ace and spy Kent Allard, who honed his skills during the war.  After the war ended, he buried his true identity and took up the mission of crime-fighter as The Shadow!


Drawing of Kent Allard from The Shadow #15 published by Nostalgia Ventures


The Shadow Unmasks was reprinted by Nostalgia Ventures and is the only reprint of this story.  Below are the front and back of the reprint - I highly recommend it for any fan of The Shadow!






2 comments:

  1. Great page. It's good to know The Shadow spent a few time in Guatemala!! I like to learn more about this fabulous character and this is the perfect place to do it. Following you here and Instagram. Greetings from Guatemala!! David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments David! Yes, Guatemala was home to The Shadow for a while and was also where he got one of his girasol rings! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, I really appreciate it!

      Delete