Saturday, June 23, 2018

Some Observations About the 1994 The Shadow Movie

I was watching The Shadow movie a few days ago and noticed some thing that I hadn't seen before and some things that I thought were interesting.  Here they are.

I noticed that the very first time Lamont Cranston appears on the screen, he is totally engulfed in the shadows.  I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but I hadn't really paid attention to it until now.  I think it's interesting that he begins in the shadows and then becomes The Shadow!


I also noticed there are two tattoos on the fingers of his left hand.  This is the only time I see them, when Lamont Cranston becomes The Shadow, I don't think they appear.  I've done a little bit of checking to see if the symbols might have been taken from one of The Shadow pulps or what they mean, and so far have come up with nothing!  My guess is they say Ying Ko, but I could be wrong!



We know The Shadow has a network of agents.  In the beginning of the movie we see how The Shadow rescues Dr. Roy Tam and makes him an agent.  But throughout the movie we see other agents that pop up here and there.  Here's one of them, a police officer from the 26th precinct.  Notice he has an agent ring on his finger.  


The Shadow's agent from the 26th precinct delivers his message into the mail slot of an office door marked "B. Jonas."  This is directly from the pulps and was a fantastic touch to the movie!


Here's a shot of the report the police officer sent to Burbank.  I thought this was pretty cool and it makes me think of how Burbank, in the pulps and in this move, collects reports from other agents and passes the information on to The Shadow.  I love the last sentence, "Agent advises inquiry."



These are just a few observations and comments, hopefully I'll have more in the next coming weeks!





No comments:

Post a Comment